Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Playing with Puppets

I stumbled across a Ted Talk recently featuring the life sized, ridable horse puppet from the play War Horse. I've never seen War Horse, so I can't give any opinion on the play itself, but the puppet is incredible and the style it gives to the play is just.... so unique. I just love the image of these earthy looking wooden horses moving about among the real people.

If you watch the first video, take a look at the shot about 30 seconds in. That single shot is amazing, the fluid motion of the puppet, if I couldn't see the puppeteers controlling the horse I would think that it was done in CG.  Now that's talent.

Then again, maybe it just speaks to the child in me who wished her toys would come to life... particularly a certain awesome lion beanie I had...



And here is the Ted Talk demonstrating the puppet, just to warn you it's a little cheesy at points.



Now back to work I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment